Sunday, May 18, 2008

Species found=123, Gas burned=0, Bird benefit=priceless

I completed my "Big Day" of birding-by-bike in one piece. I've been loafing today, editing my photos, creating Google maps and entering my sightings. The photos are uploaded, but I need to finish the text. Look for my complete wrap up tomorrow.

After nearly 40 miles of pedaling, uncounted walking distance and eating good-old-new-york-pizza as fuel, my carbon neutral "Big Day" of birding ended with 123 species of birds; that's one less than the Brooklyn Bird Club team, which consisted of four people in a car (sorry Peter, no dis intended).

Lots more by tomorrow, I promise.

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

2 comments:

Leah Labrecque: spying on birds since 2007. said...

Congratulations on completing your ambitious journey! I look forward to reading more about it.

Rob Bate said...

Thanks Rob, that's a wonderfully appropriate way to enjoy birding. With high gas prices and an undiminished love of the wild world, many more of us may follow your lead.

Exploring urban nature, birds, birdwatching, birding, hummingbirds, butterflies, dragonflies, bees, hawks, raptors, wildflowers, trees, mushrooms, environment, binoculars, spotting scope