Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

First baby photos

It's a big enough challenge finding a decent view of the Prospect Park hawk nest without this afternoon's windy conditions. The photos aren't very good, but what can I say, I feel like a proud father and need to show them off. At times, the nest seemed to be swaying a full 4 feet from side to side. My frustration was erased when I was finally able to catch a glimpse of two little heads. Initially, I left the Ravine after only seeing a pair of downy, chicken-like wings flailing about in the bottom of the nest. As I was leaving the Ravine, I spotted Ralph coming back to the nest with prey. I ran back to the nest viewing spot and was able to snap off a couple of poor, but conclusive images. As an added bonus, I found a Summer Tanager calling in a Linden tree near the Nethermead Arches.

The narrow canyon formed by the Ravine created a nice windbreak for the birds and there was a lot of late day activity near the bridle path. Dozens of swallows were flying over the Long Meadow and the two ponds.

Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Northern Flicker
Least Flycatcher
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
House Wren
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
European Starling
Cedar Wawing
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

1 comment:

yojimbot said...

yay...great news Rob!