Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cycling and birding

This year I opted out of the New York City Audubon Society's annual "Birdathon." Instead, I've been cycling 5 days a week, preparing for my own carbon neutral day of collecting bird sightings. My long day will be next Saturday, which should be a little closer to the climax of Spring migration. Today I did a trial ride, to check out some adjustments that I made to my route. I also wanted to make sure my legs would hold up to the 40 mile ride. As luck would have it, I spent most of my pedaling time facing into 10mph winds. When I arrived at the south end of the Cross Bay Bridge, I discovered that the bicycle and pedestrian path was closed for construction until October. Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge is on the opposite side of the bridge. Thankfully, the city arranged a free shuttle van service (with a bike rack). I had a short wait, so it only slowed me down a little, plus it gave my feet a break. I didn't spend much time birding, but still came up with a pretty good list.

Park Slope to Broad Channel, 5/11/2008
-
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Glossy Ibis
Brant
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Ruddy Duck
Osprey
American Oystercatcher
Willet
Spotted Sandpiper
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Laughing Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Monk Parakeet
Chimney Swift
Northern Flicker
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Veery
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Common Grackle
Boat-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch

Other common species seen (or heard):
Canada Goose, Mute Swan, American Black Duck, Mallard, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, American Crow, American Robin, European Starlingn Northern Cardinal, Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, House Finch, House Sparrow

And now for something completely different:




by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

4 comments:

Kingsboider said...

Is Steve Carell's video Closed Captioned ?

Carolyn said...

Just surfin' the blogs and stopped by for a visit.

Very nice Blog!

Carolyn

yojimbot said...

omigod...that is the funniest birding video ever...ever i say!

Rob Jett said...

Sorry, Boidmaster, I couldn't find a CC version of the video online. I even looked for a transcript.