Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

In Memoriam



While on a marathon, 1,000 mile birding road trip yesterday I received some very sad news. Arleen O'Brien, friend and naturalist, passed away at home. She was extraordinarily enthusiastic about birds, nature and life in general. You may want to take a look at her website, "Bird Joy". Well known around the New York City birding community, she will be missed.

“Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next.”

Gilda Radner

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I send my warmest sympathies to Arleen's family and friends. Last month I shared a lovely walk on Staten Island with Arleen, her husband and several other birders. Her enthusiasm and knowledge of her surroundings was inspiring to me, a beginning birder. Thanks, Arleen. You will always be fondly remembered.

Rob Jett said...

Thank you for you comments. You might be interested in the following event:

April 2, 2006, 8:00 a.m.
The Arleen O'Brien Memorial Bird Count and Remembrance
Prospect Park Audubon Center at the Boathouse

Anonymous said...

i was a close friend of arleen's back in the 80's. we lost touch and then thru a fluke i came across the notice of her memorial service. i don't know if her father carl or her older sister lisa are around but if anyone knows how i might get in touch with a family member i have some photos and recollections along with condolences i would like to share. my name is neal parker my email is captain@schooneryacht.com. please contact me if you can point me in the right direction. it is sad to know that arleen is no longer walking among us...