Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Green-Wood Cemetery hawks update

I just received the following optimistic report from Marge regarding another set of Brooklyn Red-tailed Hawks:

"Hi Rob
 
Joe Borker and I went birding today in Green-Wood. We had some nice early migrants: Pine Warbler (very bright plumage, gorgeous) and Phoebe. The Pied-billed Grebe is still on Sylvan Water.
 
We saw the usual red-tail activity. Three hawks circling around. We have the one lone red-tail hanging around all the time. We went towards Ocean Hill and the old nest and we watched a red-tail bring in new nesting material. We found him/her sitting in the nest. WOW.. something we havent seen. This is promising. We don't believe a mated pair is there now, but we are keeping our fingers crossed something good may happen.

You may want to come in and take a look at these red-tails to see if you can ID any of them.
 
Any news of Big Mama?
 
Marge"


I might have time this week to pedal over to the cemetery and check things out. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Walker said...

Thought you might be interested in my snap of a Coopers Hawk perched on the railing of my office. (Lost this post once so I'm sending it again.) On my blog.

subtleoakflavor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

There was also a bufflehead duck pair on Sylvan Water this past weekend. In addition, there was also a fair number of phoebes especially near Dell Water (the lake nearest to the main entrance).

It seems that the snow goose with the hanging "broken wing" has molted the feathers from that wing and now that wing looks perfectly normal. However, the snow goose still doesn't fly but prefers to run very fast.

Rob Jett said...

It took a while before the Snow Goose in Prospect Park began making short flights. Hopefully your goose's wing healed properly. Does he ever stretch his wings out?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I've never seen the Snow Goose stretch his wings out. I notice that whenever a car pulls up, it is now usually the Snow Goose who leads the stampede for possible handouts. He seems to have readily adapted to a semi-domesticated life--not particularly a good thing for a wild goose.