Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Some late-April Blooms


With a much increased number of hours of sunlight flowering plants around NYC have really begun to explode. While peak bloom for cherry trees is still a short time away, magnolias have definitely reached their climax. As I type this I can smell their sweet fragrance blowing through my open windows. Other plants I've noticed over the past week are Virginia Bluebells, Wild Bleeding Hearts and Grape Hyacinth. Some of the oak trees are now sprouting catkins. Be sure to scan the oaks and maples this coming weekend for migrating warblers as these trees attract the insects which feed the colorful (and extremely hungry) songbirds. I finally identified a lovely flowering shrub that catches my attention every year at this time - Double Flowered Japanese Rose.

No comments: