Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Weird Bird

This week I received a note from Marilyn Smith at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. She had an odd bird sighting and needed help with identifying the species.

**********

From: Marilyn Smith
Date: April 17, 2013

[…] One of our gardeners, who oversees the Native Flora Garden, took a photo this morning of a rail hiding among some empty pots. I so rarely get to see these, I don’t think I can ID it to species. Would you be able to tell? (I could send a higher res photo if that would help.)

I hope this adds a little more zing to your spring!

Marilyn Smith
Director of Children's Education
Brooklyn Botanic Garden


**********

Here is the photo she attached:



The bird is a Virginia Rail and they seem to show up in the most unexpected places. Here's a link to a posting I did several years ago that lists some of their more memorable resting places in NYC.

No comments: