Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

SoHo Red-tailed Hawk

I just received the following email and photos from a friend who works in SoHo.

From: Thomas Kozak
Date: December 21, 2007
Subject: FW: Bird Photos

Hey Rob, thought you'd enjoy these photos from my office at Broadway and Houston. Seems like at least one red-tailed is doing some last minute Xmas shopping in SoHo.

One of Tom's coworkers spotted the little thing sitting on the window ledge of their conference room. I'm not sure who actually took the photos, but if you let me know, I'll add credit below the images.

In the close-up photo, he (or she) is looking a bit bleary-eyed. I hope that it wasn't sick or injured and was just taking an afternoon snooze.
















I recognized the location, 599 Broadway, as I had a client for many years in "The Cable Building" on the opposite side of Houston Street. I didn't think that there was enough green space for a resident hawk to hunt around that area, but a look at Google Earth showed several small parks around SoHo.




by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

No comments: