Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Belated Halloween story

I received the following, only-in-New-York story from a friend the other day and had to share it:

Forgive me if I sent this to you already...but if not, I thought you might find this interesting:

On Halloween night (2007) in Brooklyn this happened:


"I live in Brooklyn [ ... ] and last night was playing video games in the dark when an owl flew into my apt through an open back door that leads to a deck. My roommate and I were surprised, thinking it was a pigeon, but the bird didn't make any sound as it beat its wings. As we were thinking out loud that it was possibly an owl, it landed on a door frame and we were able to tell that it was an owl. We took a picture and corralled it with a towel. The owl was quiet the whole time and was very docile and not freaking out at all. We took it to the deck and let it fly off into the Halloween night."

The owl was a tiny Northern Saw-whet Owl.

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Man, I never get owls in my apartment...

I guess I can't complain too much, though. My first fall in the city I encountered a very lost and confused young Virginia Rail on my street one rainy night.