Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Purple Gallinule update

The juvenile Purple Gallinule has generated quite a bit of excitment around the city. Is this what it takes to get people to leave Manhattan for a visit to Brooklyn? ;-) He was still present this morning and my friend Steve sent me the photo below. You can see the metallic coloration coming in on its wings, back and neck.

Another view of Big Foot

(Photo credit - Steve Nanz)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to see photographs with and without flash and to see how it affects pigment and irridescence in the feathers. The images without flash looks like what I saw when I viewed the bird in poor light. The image with flash appears more like the field guide. Just one more reason to be super careful and to use as many field marks as possible when ID-ing a bird. Lighting can be deceptive and that makes a huge difference.

Rob Jett said...

Very good point. I also found that there were considerable differences in the plates between some of the North American field guides, i.e., Sibley's doesn't show the forehead shield or by-colored bill; National Geographic 3rd ed. shows much darker bill and legs, as well as, pale edging on the coverts. I think Guy Tudor's plate in the Birds of Colombia is the best I've seen so far.