Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Friendly hawks

Late this afternoon I walked over to the Long Meadow. There was a mixed flock of sparrows feeding at the edge of a chainlink fence that separates a restoration area from the grass meadow. As I stood next to the fence watching about a dozen juncos and Chipping Sparrows a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk decided to join me. As he perched on a fence post a few feet away from me all the sparrows disappeared into the underbrush. His iris was wide opened as he searched back and forth for prey. After about five minutes he spotted something behind me at took off right towards my head. I felt a breeze from his wings.

Juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk

(Photo credit - Rob J)

Duck!

(Photo credit - Rob J)

No comments: