Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Brooklyn Eagle

I received the following email from my friend Marge:

From: Marge
Date: December 7, 2011
Subject: Bald Eagle at Green-Wood Cemetery

So … I'm in Cedar Dell where the old brownstone monuments are and the "Sea Captain" overlooks it. I take my tour inside there to see the skull and crossbones on the old brownstone. As I'm boarding the trolley I look, and in the distance, I see a huge form in the tree. I said to the passengers, "It must be one of our red-tails, let me get my bins". One person said, "Wow, that bird looks big" and I said, "It sure does". It was in a tree up on the path by the "Sea Captain", I was all the way across Cedar Dell. I took out my bins and immediately exclaimed, "Oh my God, it's a Bald Eagle. I have to get a pic or no one will believe me!"

I ran across Cedar Dell, got a lot of blurred pics and then my camera DIED. The batteries went dead. All I got were 3 pics […]. As I got closer, he flew off. He was tremendous. It made my day.

Marge


1 comment:

Roger_Paw said...

What an amazing sight! I haven't seen a bald eagle since 2001 while canoeing in Massachusetts.

Fantastic photos!!