Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Fall migration picks up

Sunday was a great day, both weather-wise and for arriving fall migrants, unfortunately my Internet provider has conspired to prevent me from updating my blog...again. I'll try to get yesterday's observations and photos up quickly, before I lose service. In the meantime, here's a a brief, but great story:

While birding in Prospect Park, I ran into Ellen and Mike, a couple who were also enjoying the arrival of many fall migrant songbirds. We began chatting and, at some point in the conversation, Mike mentioned a fledgling kestrel that he photographed in front of their house. I asked what street they live on and, as it turns out, they are neighbors of the woman who wrote to me back in July. They weren't certain of the nest location and, after I told them where it is, it appears that they will have a perfect view of the nest cavity next year. I can't wait.

More later.


(Photo courtesy of Mike Cockrill)

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

No comments: