Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, January 26, 2007

The little hummingbird that could

I just received the following e-mail from Norm Klein regarding his visitor from west of the Mississippi:

"From: Norman Klein
Date: January 26, 2007 9:03:13 AM EST
Subject: Amazing Ilsa

Ilsa is at her feeders on this coldest morning of the year. She is Ilsa and not just any vagrant selasphorus rufus one night stand. After all, she has been here since November 26, and I believe that we have a meaningful relationship, and I can call her by her first name.  She really is a cheap date; only a little sugar water, and then, oh yeh! (A little fact: sugar water freezes at 27degrees farenheit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Anyway, she is still coming to the feeders at 21 Woodhull Place, Northport. All birders and hummerphiliacs are welcome.
  
It is with scary anticipation that I keep posting these updates knowing that one day I might have to post a final message. But she's at her feeders today. "So, here's looking at you, kid."

-Norm"


If I haven't mentioned it in previous posts, the name "Ilsa" is a reference to the film "Casablanca". In one of his first e-mails regarding the Rufous Hummingbird Norm added the quote:

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine." - Bogart's "Rick Blaine" referring to Ingrid Bergman's "Ilsa Lund".

No comments: