Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Another special bird

With all the excitement generated by the King Rail appearance I neglected to report on another special migrating bird. On the way back to Brooklyn we stopped at Hempstead Lake State Park to look for a Prothonotary Warbler. It only took Sean a few minutes to locate the bird. It was feeding along the marshy outflow of one of the park's small lakes.

Prothonotary Warbler (Protonotaria citrea)


(Photo credit - Sean Sime)

Also at the state park was a pair of nesting Yellow-crowned Night Herons.

Red Maple flowers floating on pond scum

(Photo credit - Rob J)

3 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

That first photo is just gorgeous!

Rob Jett said...

I wish I could take credit for it. My friend and birding buddy Sean is an excellent photographer. When we go out birding he doesn't always bring his camera. Glad he did here...

LauraHinNJ said...

Your pond scum photo is pretty cool, too!