Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

What a life

I just received the following great photo and story from my friend Steve:

Split-tail and Big Mama

(Photo credit - Steve Nanz)

"Took this shot moments after copulation (not me, the birds) last Sunday. This was the first time I'd ever witnessed a pair of Red-tails in the act. I was with Arleen's husband, John.

There was a lot of calling and then the male (Split-Tail?) came in, did his duty and then went to another close tree where he tried to break off a tree limb for the nest. I think he was feeling pumped. He worked it for a minute and then went to another branch which was able to break from the tree. He then took it off to the nest and then just kind of hung out and rested.

I said to John "What a life! First a little breakfast, then a little work, then a quicky, a little more work and it's time for a nap.

Steve"

No comments: