Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday's Foto

After the winter of 2013-2014 Snowy Owl irruption ended I didn't think we would be seeing this magnificent arctic raptor around Brooklyn any time soon. I was wrong. This Snowy Owl was spotted along Brooklyn's industrial coast only 3 miles from lower Manhattan and within view of the Statue of Liberty. Bush Terminal Park is not really appropriate habitat for this owl and it was only present for a short period of time, but they have been reported in various locations around coastal NYC and Long Island. I hope their return to areas far south of the arctic doesn't have anything to do with climate change.

No comments: