Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, March 27, 2023

Birds of Green-Wood Cemetery

I've spent a lot of time birding in Brooklyn's Green-Wood Cemetery over the years and began collecting photos of some of its resident birds. Here are some of those photos. Updated as I find more, scroll to the bottom for the latest pics (updated 3/27/23):




























The old world spelling, perhaps.


Not quite a bird, but I liked the name.

I'll add more in the future as I find them.

Here's an update from July 2015:



Here's an update from October 2015:



Here's a Reeve, also from October 2015:



Here's my first "Fish Hawk" for Green-Wood from March 2016:



Here's a new addition I spotted in November 2016:



Spotted in December 2016. I was kind of hoping to read a family member named "Hermit", "Wood" or "Varied":



Spotted during my walk on 7/29/18:

This one may be a bit of a stretch, but humor me. Lanius is the genus for a family of birds called shrikes. They can be found in Eurasia, Africa and North America. They are sometimes referred to as "butcher birds". Not surprising, lanius is latin for butcher. My favorite is the Northern Shrike - Lanius excubitor: the butcher sentinel. Perhaps Henry Clay came from a long line of family butchers ... or shrikes.



Here's a western species I came across while wandering around on August 26th. Don't normally see Verdins on the east coast:



With all the Chimney Swifts that nest in Brownstone Brooklyn this one seemed quite fitting (or flitting):



A few years ago my friend Mike mentioned seeing a willet in Green-Wood Cemetery. At first I thought he improbably saw one of these long-legged shorebird in the cemetery. Once I calmed down, he explained he was merely adding to my virtual collection. I finally located Mr. Willet a week ago on December 22, 2018:



I just found this one today during a private tour:



Can't believe I never came across this one before:



Going to guess that they are not a native New Yorker:







Here's one I photographed in 2015, uploaded to my computer, then promptly forgot about until a friend texted me a "bird" alert today:



No comments: