Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, December 03, 2010

November Birds

With only one month of birding left for 2010, my chances of finding a few new species is starting to dwindling. During the month of November I managed to only add 4 new species. My total for New York State this year now stands at 261. Of the 4 new species only one was observed within Brooklyn's borders, bringing my year total for the borough to 233.

265 species of birds have been recorded in Brooklyn so far this year. Most of those species I have little to no chance of finding by the end of the month. One of the more unusual sightings that comes to mind is a Brown Pelican, seen by Heydi back in January. I still have a fighting chance at finding one or more of the following birds:

Eurasian Wigeon, Common Eider, Black-headed Gull, Long-eared Owl, Short-eared Owl, Common Redpoll.

In addition, there are always the unexpected birds that may show up. Well, even if I don't find any new birds for 2010, I can't complain as I've already surpassed my 2009 Brooklyn total by 13.

November Birds:

258) Common Ground-Dove (Captree SP, 11/07/10)
259) Varied Thrush (Central Park--Maintenance Meadow, 11/29/10)
260) Lark Sparrow (Jones Beach SP--East Bath House, 11/07/10)
261) Pine Siskin (Coney Island Boardwalk West, 11/09/10)

No comments: