Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Another bird in need of help

Some of my non-birding friends and acquaintances refer to me as a "bird expert". (I feel like I should be saying, "I'm not a bird expert, but I play one on television".) I'm flattered that so many people come to me for advice but I'm just a lowly computer technician who knows a little more about birds than the average person. That said, a friend of my wife's just e-mailed her about an injured bird that she found. She wanted to know the identification.

I was surprised when I saw her photo of a Saw-whet Owl (they're rare but regular winter visitors here in NYC), but subsequently found out that they are year around residents in the Salt Lake City region.

From: Josette
Sent: Oct 25, 2006 11:20 AM
Subject: Visitor

This little guy was on the pedal of our golf cart here at the track. Since your hubby is a big bird fan, I thought I'd send it to you. He has a mouse in his claws, and a broken wing so they took him to get better.

Josette
Miller Motorsports Park


Northern Saw-whet Owl in golf cart

(Photo credit - Josette Ono)

No comments: