Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

In Memoriam

It is with great sadness that I report the loss of another well respected and loved Brooklyn birder. Jerry Layton passed away this past Wednesday, August 14th. Jerry was much more than a birder, his interests and expertise ranged from botany to dragonflies and, seemingly, everything in between. He was always a teacher, whether in the classroom or elsewhere. Unfortunately, many of the new, young birders didn't know him as he'd been in an assisted care facility for quite some time.

I met Jerry in May of 1995 while I was observing a Red-tailed Hawk nest I had discovered in the Quaker Cemetery in Prospect Park. While standing in a wooded section adjacent to the cemetery, watching the nest activity, I spotted a guy with binoculars walking towards me. As he got close, I said, "I guess you know about this little secret." Without hesitating, he said, "Guess not!", then let out a loud belly laugh. I pointed out the nest. We quickly became friends and he introduced me to the members of the Brooklyn Bird Club. Jerry played an important roll in my burgeoning interests in birds and all things nature. He'll be missed.

Jerry Layton & Heidi Steiner at Ridgewood Reservoir



No comments: