Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Week 4 - Green-Wood Cemetery

This past week saw 5 days of rain, but the good news is that there was a respite from the previous weekend's arctic conditions. In addition, a broken finger restricted some of my activities. Anyway, sad to report that there is still a scarcity of typical winter species, but I'm still holding out hope that might eventually change.

Zelkova sapcicle

A large Japanese Zelkova near the intersection of Elm and Grove Avenues is once again growing a giant sapcicle along its lower trunk. I hope that doesn't mean that there is an injury to the trunk.

It was interesting to see that there were a few thriving species of fungi, no doubt stimulated by all the rain. I found some nibbled on Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) on a stump along the ridge at Dell Water. It was in an area where I've spotted them several times in the past. The list of hungry suspects include Eastern Gray Squirrel, Raccoon and Striped Skunk. I assume that all the groundhogs are currently hibernating, so not out foraging for food. There were also several places where I spotted lots of fresh Turkey tails (Trametes versicolor). Finally, all the rain seems to have rehydrated the cemetery's abundant American Amber Jelly (Exidia crenata). It seemed as if every broken branch on the ground had at least some of these rubbery fungi attached.

Oyster mushrooms

Turkey tails

American Amber Jelly

My next update will be in seven days. Until then, go outside and enjoy a bit of nature.

No comments: