Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Week 2 - Green-Wood Cemetery

The second week of the year was punctuated by a couple of days of torrential rains followed by gusting winds. Neither are my favorite conditions for wandering around outdoors. I did manage to get into the cemetery for a bit and there was one very noticeable change since the previous week.

Despite the appearance of increased aggression between our local Red-tailed Hawks, it is merely their annual courtship displays. There are several pairs in the area and it is the time of year when they strengthen their bonds through mock battle.



Listen for their familiar, hoarse "kee-eeeee-arr" calls and watch as they circle, dive and, occasionally, lock talons.

I recently spotted an immature Red-tailed Hawk practicing collecting branches for nest building. While  red-tails that haven't attained their namesake red tail yet can actually still breed, it is somewhat rare. This individual didn't appear to be trying to impress a potential mate, but rather was mostly just pulling bark and branches from various trees, then dropping them as he flew off. While watching, I met a woman named Sara with her young daughter near Battle Hill. I pointed out the hawk to them and they joined me for the show. He was so focused on this pointless task that he completely ignored his audience of three. I reassured Sara and her daughter that they had nothing to fear from this silly hawk. The front row seats to the close encounter is something I'm certain that they won't forget.




No comments: