Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, January 09, 2015

Friday's Foto


Despite the title of this weekly feature, I decided to post a video clip rather than a still photo. The Snow Bunting is one of my favorite arctic visitors to Brooklyn during the winter months. Feeding primarily on seeds in low, stubbly grass habitats along the coast I enjoy watching their methodical, hyperactive feeding behavior ... which is not something that comes across well in a photograph. This circumpolar breeder related to longspurs is divided into four subspecies worldwide. While currently listed a species of "Least Concern" by the IUCN, the 2014 State of the Birds Report listed this U.S.-Canada Stewardship species as a Common Bird in Steep Decline.

No comments: