Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Brooklyn Alcid

My friend Peter reported that a very unusual seabird was recently found along Brooklyn's coast.

On January 13th, an injured Dovekie was spotted by the foreman at a construction site at Bush Terminal. The collapsing piers in this area are being turned into a park, fortunately for this little bird, there were caring people around. This stretch of waterfront is closed off to the public so, normally, this former industrial park would be nearly devoid of human. I did a waterfowl count here a few years ago and found that hundreds of ducks are drawn to the old dilapidated wharfs. There was also a very scary-looking pack of feral dogs wandering around.

The foreman called the city's 311 line, who put him in touch with a certified wildlife rehabilitator. Peter didn't have any other information about the condition of this tiny bird, who should have been way out at sea, not in New York Harbor. I sent a note to Cathy Horvath to see if she and Bobby had the Dovekie or any information. Here was her response:

Date: January 23, 2012
To: Rob Jett
Subject: Re: Brooklyn Dovekie!

Hey Rob, No we didn't get this little wonder. I wish I knew who has it. I see the injury and these little ones are tough to rehab. You really have to work on getting them to eat. when they arrive around here they are dehydrated and starving, near death. I make a bait fish smoothie and tube feed them. If you hear anything, please let me know. I will take it. Thanks, Cathy


Mmmm, bait fish smoothie...

I'll post an update as soon as I learn more.

No comments: