Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Prospect Park hawk update

On Wednesday afternoon I ran into Prospect Park to check on Alice and Ralph's nest. I went back to my old viewing spot where this is just a tiny window through the leaves and branches.

When I arrived Alice was standing guard in the nest. She remained there for the hour or so that I monitored their activities (or lack, thereof). I only had brief looks at the chicks, but they are nearly as large as their mother. They still have plenty of down to molt, but their flight feathers are growing in quickly. In the limited time I had to watch the nest, it still seems like there are two young hawks in this year's brood, although it would be easy to overlook a third. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not nearly as proficient at snapping off photos as the young raptors are at pooping over the side of the nest. That is evident by the only photo that I managed to shoot of the youngsters. Yes, you are seeing it correctly.

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

1 comment:

Marie said...

Damn. Pooping baby hawks. They are huge, though...

I like the plant-name inclusion on the botanical photos...