Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, September 16, 2024

Week 37 - Green-Wood Cemetery

As I wrote in my week 36 update, the Autumn cold fronts had begun to increase the arrival of southbound birds. So it was of no surprise that this past week was all about the birds. We experienced several days of North-Northwest winds which had a huge impact on the birds seen in the cemetery (and all over NYC). In fact, I ended the week having tallied 87 species of birds, plus a couple of unidentified empidonax flycatchers. The two big days for me were Wednesday the 11th and Sunday the 15th. Both days I observed over 61 species of birds. Wednesday was a big day for warblers when I counted a total of 20 species.

Prairie Warbler

Philadelphia Vireo

Black-throated Green Warbler

Magnolia Warbler


Southbound Common Nighthawks have been seen diving and swooping for insects over the cemetery for a little over a week. It was a nice treat seeing one sleeping in a tree on the ridge above Sylvan Water.

Common Nighthawk


Most of the empidonax flycatchers have already passed through the area and I'm now seeing more Eastern Phoebes and Olive-sided Flycatchers.

Olive-sided Flycatcher


Raptor migration is picking up steam and I saw my first Broad-winged Hawk of the season. I did a brief hawkwatch from the "Hawkwatch Hill" on Sunday, but the winds were not really optimal so only observed Osprey, Cooper's Hawk, kestrel and Turkey Vulture. Several Red-tailed Hawks in the area were undoubtedly our local population.

Broad-winged Hawk

Cooper's Hawk


There were lots of lovely fall botanics to admire last week.

Sedum sp.

Blue Mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum)

Smooth Blue Aster (Symphyotrichum laeve)

Autumn Crocus

Mexican Aster (Cosmos bipinnatus)


Spotted my first Common Buckeye of the season feeding on Goldenrod. Given the profusion of this brilliant yellow flower on the meadow by Valley Water, I look forward to seeing many more.

Common Buckeye on Goldenrod


I've been noticing a lot of honey mushrooms popping up lately. Not sure if this is a season occurrence or maybe just the right conditions for them. I photographed this beautiful cluster next to Valley Water on Tuesday. It was gone the next day. Hmmm...

Honey mushrooms


Of the fruiting plants, the Paw Paws have ripened and mysteriously disappeared. Must be the raccoons. Also, the Black Walnuts are dropping their harvest and the squirrels are getting fat off of them. I'm now curious to see how long until the American Chestnuts are in season.

American Chestnut

No comments: