Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, February 29, 2024

One More Brooklyn Rarity

On February 10, 2024 someone included on their eBird submission a "Ruby-throated Hummingbird" in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. Given the winter date, an alarm went off in the heads of many experienced local birders. It was unlikely to be a Ruby-throated, but more conceivably a western vagrant.

The next morning Tripper Paul (an eBird moderator) headed over to its reported location in an attempt to confirm the bird's ID. Within a relatively short time, he found and photographed the bird. To few folk's surprise, it turned out to be a selasphorus hummingbird species (Allen's or Rufous). The Allen's Hummingbird and Rufous Hummingbird are extremely difficult to separate, the most reliable fieldmark being a small notch in the tip of the second tail feather of the Rufous. Here's a good essay that explains the differences. That said, once word got out, an abundance of folks with long lenses and expensive cameras rushed to Prospect Park. While this bird is extremely fast moving and miniscule, it was determined relatively quickly via photos that is was, in fact, a Rufous Hummingbird. It would be the first record of this species in Kings County.

While it would be my first Brooklyn Rufous Hummingbird, it wouldn't be a New York State bird for me. In 2006, when I did a Big Year in NYS with Sean, Shane and Doug, I actually saw two of them. The first was on November 26, 2006 with my friend Sean at Lenoir Preserve in Yonkers. The second was a bird found feeding in Norman Klein's backyard in Northport on Long Island. That bird ended up sticking around for a few weeks. The third was an individual that was found feeding on wildflowers near the planetarium entrance to the American Museum of Natural History on Central Park West and West 81st St. I remember that sighting in particular as, when I was watching the hummingbird, Neil deGrasse Tyson walked passed and flushed the bird...what a loser. 😜

Rufous Hummingbird range map


The Brooklyn hummingbird had been frequenting a stretch of path below the south ridge of Breeze Hill. Josh Malbin had set up a hummingbird feeder near the last sighting, hoping that the hummer would have a regular supply of food. While it didn't find the feeder for a while, it did have plenty to eat and no competition. The understory of that 150 yard stretch is dominated by Lonicera fragrantissima, a shrub honeysuckle that blooms in the winter.

Lonicera fragrantissima, Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NY

I was at Coney Island Creek looking for pintails and redheads when the hummingbird was relocated and positively identified. The subway service was really sketchy due to weekend work disruptions, but I rushed over to Prospect Park as fast as possible, stressing out the entire ride. My friend Heydi was in the park and offered to stick around and help me find it. Unfortunately, the bird didn't return while I was there, so I went home rufous-less. Thankfully the bird gods smiled upon me early the next morning. I managed to get good looks and a few photographs. I've since gone back a few times.

Two snow storms and 17 days later, our Rufous Hummingbird is still being seen (as of this writing). Mostly now it appears to be feeding at the hummingbird feeder rather than the honeysuckle flowers. The photographs have shown that it has a few golden-orange feathers emerging on its gorget, which would make it a male. I hope it sticks around until it is in full breeding plumage.




No comments: