Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Green-Wood Cemetery Hawks

Our Green-Wood Cemetery Red-tailed Hawk nestlings are doing well and seemingly growing as fast as kudzu vines in Florida. Here's a photo my friend Heidi took a couple of days ago:



I don't monitor our local Red-tailed Hawk nests as closely as I have in the past, but can tell by this youngster's developing flight feathers that it won't be too long until they fledge. In another week I expect to see the pair flap-hopping at the edge of the nest. The next step would be climbing out on some of the adjacent branches ("branching") and flap-hopping from those locations. I would expect to see one or both taking their maiden flight sometime around July 4th.

If you'd like to pay a visit to the cemetery and check out the nest, here is a map with the location:



The best vantage point is from the near the middle of the lot closer to Vine Avenue.

No comments: