Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, March 28, 2016

New Red-tailed Nest for Brooklyn

A friend alerted me to a new neighborhood Red-tailed Hawk nest in an unlikely location.

About 3/4 of a mile from human and wildlife oasis Prospect Park and adjacent to the notorious Gowanus Canal are the new digs for a pair of our resident raptors. It's not completely unheard of for our urban hawks to build their nests on fire escapes, but this one's placement next to a very busy roadway has me a bit concerned.


If this pair is successful, their fledglings don't have many good choices for a landing zone. There is a large parking lot across the street and some low, flat rooftops just to the east, but a roadway landing would be tragic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's a map if you want to help keep an eye on them. It's a block away from Wholefoods ... where Red-tailed Hawks also can't afford to shop ;-)

1 comment:

Petunia said...

Spotted this pair building their nest in March. Washington Park is just a block away and I think I've seen the same hawks there. The park has left out baited rat traps to deal with their rat infestation, so I'm worried for these guys - does anyone know if the park has been informed that a nesting pair is nearby?