Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

After the storm

The rain ended in time for us to venture to the roof for sunset. Five crows were making a lot of noise in the sky near Grand Army Plaza. We assumed that they were harassing a hawk, but didn't see any. After a few minutes we spotted one over the turret of 35 Prospect Park West. She didn't seem too concerned with the crows, but several times flipped upside-down and displayed her deadly talons. The crows finally gave up and flew west, down the slope. Her mate appeared about a block away, kiting above the triangular apartment building at the corner of Park Place.

Whenever I watch the hawks on the top of the 18 story building I wonder how they see the park. Thanks to the Internet and real estate agents, I now know. This is a photograph of the north end of the Long Meadow, facing south east taken from the penthouse apartment.

Fifteen years ago the crows greatly outnumbered the local Red-tailed Hawks. It was common to see a flock of 20 to 30 crows intimidating and chasing off a hawk. For reasons that are unclear to me, it is now unusual to see a flock of more than a few crows around Prospect Park.

by Rob Jett for "The City Birder"

2 comments:

Robert said...

"For reasons that are unclear to me, it is now unusual to see a flock of more than a few crows around Prospect Park."

West Nile?

Rob Jett said...

West Nile has been suggested to me by several folks, but I can't say for certain because I don't think that there have been any specific studies around NYC.