Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

More hawk updates

Fordham University chicks (click to enlarge)

(Photo credit - photographer)

I just received some good news from Rich, up at Fordham University. I'm running out the door to try and get some photos of Alice's nest but thought I would post this first:

Date: May 9, 2007 10:51:59 AM EDT
Subject: update - three chicks!

Frederic Lilien and Lincoln Karim came to campus today to photograph Hawkeye and Rose. Because Frederic had gotten permission from Public Affairs, we were able to go up on the roof of one of the buildings on campus where we was able to look into the nest and take unencumbered photos of the nest. As you can see from the attached photo there are three chicks in this year's nest. Being up high also gave me a better sense of where Rose and Hawkeye travel when they are not close to the nest. Clearly they could be seen soaring over the Botanical Gardens and in the area to the west of campus. At one time there were three Red Tails and neither Rose or Hawkeye seemed perturbed by the presence of the third hawk. Could it be one of last year's fledglings has not ventured far from the nest's territory? Even the presence of a crow flying across campus did not make them stay close to the nest.
 
I will try to get up on the roof again with my scope to see if I can get a closer shot.
 
Rich


Frederic is coming to Brooklyn tomorrow so I'll post more pics of Big Mama's chicks shortly.

No comments: