Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Jones Beach sighting

A Smith's Longspur was found at the Jones Beach Nature Center associating with a flock of Horned Larks. This is just the second state record for this species. I'll post more details later. In the meantime, here is the location.

Please note that it is not necessary to walk through the sandy swales looking for the bird (and with all the people that will show up in the morning, it probably wouldn't be a good idea). It has been observed returning to the area nearest the paved trail, which, thankfully, is protected from the wind. Patience is key.

Area overview



Area detail


I asked Sean if it was better to post a bad photo or no photo. He told me he didn't mind if I posted a bad photo. That said, by the time he set-up his camera, the longspur was a long distance from us. We're going out again in the morning, so, hopefully one of us will get a better shot (most likely him).

Looking for the Smith's Longspur

No comments: