Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, March 29, 2004

Prospect Park

I was standing below the hawk's nest when my cellphone rang. It was one of my client's in need of technical assistance. I provide computer support to a small number of graphics companies and, on occasion, have been able to solve their problems while watching the hawks. It was Tony P. calling with an e-mail problem that didn't seem too complicated. While we were talking I spotting Split-tail flying across the Long Meadow holding something in his talons. He landing in the elm tree nearly right over me and began calling for his mate seated on the nest. My client interrupted me in mid-sentence and asked, "What is that noise in the background?" I replied, "It's a Red-tailed Hawk. He just brought a rat for his mate and is calling her." There was an awkward silence on the line then he said, "You're kidding me, right?" No. He completely forgot about his e-mail problem and began asking me all sorts of questions regarding the hawks. I interrupted him when Split-tail flew up to the nest with his lunch treat for Big Mama. She examined the rat but either wasn't hungry or didn't like the looks of the partially eaten rodent. Instead she took off towards the Midwood while Split-tail settled down on the eggs. On the phone Tony sounded giddy and genuinely excited by hearing the hawk's calls and my play-by-play. Could this be a radio show in the making?
- - - - -
Prospect Park, 3/29/2004
-
Ring-necked Duck (5, Upper pond.)
Bufflehead (3, Upper pond.)
Red-tailed Hawk (3.)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2, Payne Hill.)
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe (4, Payne Hill. 3, Vale of Cashmere.)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1, Payne Hill.)
Winter Wren (1, Vale of Cashmere.)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Abundant.)
Hermit Thrush (1, Payne Hill.)
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch

Other resident species seen (or heard):
Mallard, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker (1, Payne Hill.), Hairy Woodpecker (1, Payne Hill.), Blue Jay, Tufted Titmouse (2, Payne Hill.), American Robin, European Starling, Song Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, House Sparrow

No comments: