Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, February 20, 2004

Prospect Park

I took a quick lunchtime walk through the park to check on the hawk nests. I was disappointed that the north zoo nest was empty and I couldn't find any red-tails in the area. I felt a little better when I found the Ravine pair busy working on their nest. They have returned to last year's nest at the top of a large pine tree. When I walked out onto the Nethermead Meadow I spotted the other pair soaring above Lookout Hill. Perhaps they weren't working on their nest because they were too busy chasing a juvenile red-tailed. At one point a Cooper's Hawk joined in the mini "kettle". After the mated red-tails successfully chased off the young hawk I watched them playfully tussling low over Lookout Hill. Near the Maryland Monument they talon grappled for a moment and came so close to the ground that I thought they were going to crash.

Also of note today were two drake Ring-necked Ducks on Prospect Lake.
- - - - -
Prospect Park, 2/20/2004
-
Double-crested Cormorant (Flying over Prospect Lake.)
American Wigeon (1.)
Northern Shoveler (Abundant.)
Ring-necked Duck (2 drakes on lake.)
Hooded Merganser (2.)
Ruddy Duck
Cooper's Hawk (Immature.)
Red-tailed Hawk (4 adults, 1 immature.)
American Coot
Ring-billed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Hairy Woodpecker (Breeze Hill.)
White-breasted Nuthatch (2.)
Brown Creeper (Vale of Cashmere.)
Northern Mockingbird (Wellhouse.)
Fox Sparrow (2.)
White-throated Sparrow
Rusty Blackbird (5, Lullwater behind rink.)
American Goldfinch (Vale.)

Other resident species seen (or heard):
Canada Goose, Mute Swan, American Black Duck, Mallard, Herring Gull, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, American Robin, European Starling, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, House Sparrow

No comments: