Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, June 20, 2024

In Memoriam

It is with deep sadness that I report the loss of another well loved and respected member of the New York City birding community. Yesterday I received news of the passing of Lenore Swenson after a brief illness. I'd known Lenore for over twenty years and always found her to be a kind, sweet soul. A longtime member of Audubon, the Brooklyn Bird Club and Linnaean Society of New York, she was not just a birder, but possessed a wealth of knowledge spanning botanics, butterflies (insects, in general), and, seemingly, all things nature. Lenore will be sorely missed. More information on a memorial service to follow. The Linnaean Society has nice tribute page here.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rob, thank you for posting this. Very sad news.

Quite some years back I went on many Birding trips in Central Park with Starr Saphir; Lenore was usually on the trips (and would sometimes lead them when Starr was indisposed). She was a lovely and knowledgeable person, very patient with beginners. We frequently took the same train back downtown to the Village (she lived more east, I west).

And of course she led memorial walks for Starr, missed the most recent ones alas.

Oisin McGuinness

(I went on a few of your trips in Prospect park, and follow your blog.)