Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Timberdoodles

Just can't get enough of those "Timberdoodles"!

Michael and I unknowingly walked up on a pair sleeping under a yew tree. Whistling wings startled us and we followed with our eyes the slow, chunky outline of a woodcock as it zigzagged around the tree, some headstones and out of sight. I took one step forward then signaled to Michael to stop moving. There, on the ground a few feet to my left, sat another one of these plump, camouflaged shorebirds. I wondered, was its heart pounding hoping that we hadn't noticed it? We slowly sat down on the grass then snapped a few photos. My reflection is visible in its eye, giving this small bird's perspective of a giant staring down at it. I feel bad for woodcocks as it seems like everything is either trying to eat them or chase them down for social media likes.

No comments: