Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Monday, July 19, 2021

Some Butterfly Pics from Green-Wood Cemetery

Here's a small selection of my butterfly photos from Green-Wood Cemetery. I'll add to this posting as I take more photos:

Been seeing a lot of Sachem skippers within the past couple of weeks.
After the Mourning Cloak, the Black Swallowtail is one of the early arrivals but are continuing to be seen fairly frequently.
Eastern Tiger Swallowtails had their moment but seem to be less abundant in recent days.
Like starlings and House Sparrows, I sometimes feel obligated to take pictures of Cabbage Whites.
I'm still learning to tell the difference between the Clouded Sulfur and Orange Sulfur. Apparently, so are most people.
A fairly old photo I took of a Banded Hairstreak that I misidentified as an Edward's Hairstreak ... or did I?
The Red-banded Hairstreak's fantastic markings are easily overlooked given their diminutive size. Compare it to the butterfly weed it's feeding on.
The Eastern Tailed-Blue is another tiny butterfly with lovely, subtle coloration that's easy to miss.
"So where's the blue on the Summer Azure", you might ask. Like the equally small Eastern Tailed-Blue, you only see the blue in flight or when it flattens out its wings.
No need to introduce the Monarch butterfly. Green-Wood Cemetery has done a great job planting lots of milkweed for this declining species.
Love the peacock-like spots along the trailing edge of the Variegated Fritillary's wings.
Another beauty that's easily overlooked due to its tiny size, look for the Pearl Crescent on the wild bergamot flowers.

I feel like by naming the Common Buckeye "common" it does this beautiful butterfly a disservice.
Here's a nice view of the punctuation that gives the Question Mark its name.
I was surprised to learn that the Red Admiral is not unique to North American. It can also be found in Europe.
The American Lady is one of two "lady" butterflies. The other being Painted Lady.


No comments: