Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Opportunistic Red-tailed Hawk

The last few times I walked from Prospect Park to Green-Wood Cemetery I noticed an immature Red-tailed Hawk hanging around the Prospect Expressway. I finally managed a decent photo of him on one of the lights above the roadway. You can see him at eye level where Prospect Park West goes over the highway near 20th Street. I'm sure this young bird is taking advantage of any roadkill spied from his highway perch. I hope he knows cars don't stop for hawks in the road. A few days after I took this photo I realized that he sits nearly directly in front of the traffic camera. This would be the "Prospect Expressway at Ft. Hamilton Parkway, South" camera. I went to the News 12 traffic camera page hoping to get a live glimpse of the hawk, unfortunately I got "This camera is being serviced". I'll keep checking back and do a screengrab if I see anything interesting.

No comments: