Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, December 19, 2014

Tomorrow's Christmas Bird Count

Tomorrow morning I'll be part of a small team of birders that will be scouring a section of Brooklyn for the 115th Annual Audubon Christmas Bird Count.


The area that I've been covering for over a decade is Floyd Bennett Field, Dead Horse Bay and Four Sparrow Marsh. It's a huge area with a variety of habitats from grassland to forest and coastal waterways.

Unbelievably, the Cassin's Kingbird, which was first reported on November 15th, was still present today. I'm hoping he is still there in the morning for a New York State CBC first. A few of us will be arriving before dawn to try for nocturnal species. Wish us luck and I'll post a summary on Sunday. Good luck to all the teams counting birds tomorrow!

No comments: