Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday's Foto

On November 4th of last year I was standing on the highest point in Brooklyn within Green-Wood Cemetery scanning the sky for hawks. At one point I followed in my bins an immature Red-headed Woodpecker as it flew in from the north then landed in a tree a short distance away from my perch. From that date forward this bird has been seen nearly daily frequenting a dead tree only about 450 yards to the south-west of where he first entered the cemetery. As you can see from the photo he or she is developing its namesake red head plumage. This beautiful woodpecker does not breed in New York City, but rather in northern and northwestern New York State. I hope it doesn't, but suspect that this individual may begin heading back north before we get to see his full head of brilliant red feathers.

No comments: