Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday's Foto

After my third or fourth try, I finally got to see an American Golden-Plover in Brooklyn this year. This individual located along the edge of a meadow at Floyd Bennett Field was one of three observed between Dead Horse Bay and Floyd Bennett. Very similar to the closely related Black-bellied Plover, its smaller, slimmer bill and smaller head are two characteristics that separate it from the black-bellied. In flight, golden-plovers don't have the dark "armpits" or white rump of a black-bellied. Here are some nice comparison photos by Bill Schmoker. You can also watch a video I shot of the golden-plover here.

No comments: