Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday's Foto

Late-June through mid-July is generally a slow time for birds. Conversely, it is a very good time for spotting butterflies. I spotted this tiny hairstreak butterfly feeding on butterfly weed in Brooklyn's Green-Wood Cemetery. I'm still not 100% certain of its identity but am fairly confident it is an Edward's Hairstreak. If you know where to look, Green-Wood Cemetery is a good place for butterfly watching. I'll post a map with locations in the near future.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm far from expert, but have you considered the striped hairstreak, S. liparops?

Rob Jett said...

Neither am I but I hadn't considered striped because of the limited amount of orange, plus, it appeared to only have one tail. Unfortunately, this individual was very worn and, in fact, was missing all traces of tail(s) on the right hindwing. I'm learning that some butterflies are tough to identify even under ideal conditions...like birds!