Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Friday's Foto

This Hawaiian Beet Webworm is neither exotic nor Hawaiian. Despite being common and widespread, I'd never noticed them. Also known as the Spinach Moth, I spotted this individual while photographing butterflies in Green-Wood Cemetery. They may be pretty, but farmers consider them an agricultural pest. While searching for information on this moth I stumbled on "Manual of Vegetable-Garden Insects", by Cyrus Richard Crosby and Mortimer Demarest Leonard (pub. 1918). The authors recommended method of control is spraying "arsenate of lead (paste), 2 pounds in 50 gallons of water." Yum, makes for some tasty, nutritious veggies.

No comments: