Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yesterday I saw a Ruby-throated Hummingbird get caught in a spider's web. It managed to free itself after a few moments. The experience really impressed me with the delicate and meager nature of these iridescent creatures. Coincidentally, when I returned home I had received an email from Bobby Horvath regarding a hummingbird rescue.

From: Robert Horvath
Date: September 21, 2009
Subject: hummingbird

This female came in last week after hitting a window and had an injured right wing. Luckily it ate on its own immediately so we had hope. Today we took it to Westbury Gardens and happily gave it another chance to migrate. It hung around a bit then took off like a bullet. Cathy brought the feeder tube and gave her 1 last quick drink before she took off.

Bobby



1 comment:

Pamela said...

I rescued a little Rufus from my daughter's sun room this summer.

After letting the kids (1,6,and 8 yo) see her held gently in my fist -- we watched her buzz away and clapped our hands!