Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Astoria Park

A face only a mother can love (click to enlarge)

(Photo credit - Rob Jett)

Today I went to Astoria Park, in Queens, to check out the recently discovered hawk nest. A pair of red-tails have hatched two chicks on a nest built on the Triborough Bridge anchorage. I think that they may qualify as the first example of bridge-nesting raptors that AREN'T Peregrine Falcons. To be fair, though, it's hardly on the bridge. This is the only decent shot I got of one chick showing his face

Find the nest (click to enlarge)

(Photo credit - Rob Jett)

No comments: