Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Birding and luck

Dickcissel (Spiza americana ) at Jones Beach Coast Guard Station

(Photo credit - Ed Coyle)

-Click here for more info on Dickcissels-

One can be an excellent observer and very experienced birder but sometimes making a good find is just a matter of luck. Case in point; I just received the following e-mail from a friend:

"Rob,

I found this sparrow by accident while simply trying out a new flash unit on my camera. I didn't really 'see' the bird til after the flash. It flew when I realised it was different, and at the same time began to rain. So my hunt ended. Electronics and rain. [...] The pic is crappy too, but have a look. If it's worth chasing it is (was) in the hedgerow in front of the coast guard station at Jones Beach.

Let me know what you think.

Ed Coyle"


Like many people in the east I rarely find a Dickcissel if I'm seaching for one.

No comments: