Check out City Birder Tours, and Green-Wood sponsored tours on their calendar pages here.
Celebrate your inner nerd with my new t-shirt design! Available on my Spreadshirt shop in multiple colors and products.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Melting in New York City

Lotus Flower

(Photo credit - Rob J)

Today I felt like a candle in a pizza oven. Early this morning I walked my 12 year old nephew over to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. He's visiting from Charlotte and we have him enrolled in the "BCAP" camp for kids. By the end of our 15 minute walk we were both soggy from the heat and humidity. It's been a few years since I've felt such oppressive weather in New York. I had planned on spending the morning taking some photos at the garden but could only handle about 45 minutes.

Even the butterflies and dragonflies were slowed by the high temperature and humidity. They all seemed content to rest on their perches when I approached for a few close-up photos. Maybe when the heat snap passes I'll be able to spend more time looking for birds.

Silver-spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus) on a Purple Coneflower

(Photo credit - Rob J)

Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus)

(Photo credit - Rob J)

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)

(Photo credit - Rob J)

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)


(Photo credit - Rob J)

Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis) on dried poppy

(Photo credit - Rob J)

No comments: